Jaxon “Strong”

The baby who was born with most of his skull missing


EXCLUSIVE: It's a miracle - How Jaxon, the baby given days to live when he was born with most of his skull missing, has defied the odds - and is celebrating his first birthday

  • Brittany, 27, and Brandon Buell, 30, from Tavares, Florida, were told their son had a rare brain malfunction called Microhydranencephaly 
  • 1 in 4,859 babies in the U.S. are born with the condition each year but most die soon after birth 
  • A GoFundMe page set up a year ago has raised over $54,000 with 1,181 donors offering their support 
  • Pictures of Jax 'Strong', a nickname he has earned, have flooded social media with over 18,000 shares and 80,554 likes on Facebook 

By Tanveer Mann For Dailymail.com

Published: 26 September 2015

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3247851/Miracle-baby-Jaxon-Emmett-Buell-defies-odds-born-brain-skull.html#ixzz4yc0PK2Tm

Born with most of his brain and skull missing, baby Jaxon Emmett Buell was not expected to live. In fact his parents had been told to abort him when doctors discovered his condition. But he has defied all odds - and now he has just celebrated his first birthday.

Baby Jaxon's devout Christian parents, Brandon and Brittany Buell, were told by doctors that he had an extreme brain malformation, which meant he would probably not survive the pregnancy. But Jax Strong – a nickname he has earned on social media - is now one years old. His inspirational story has captivated families across the U.S., with nearly 90,000 people 'liking' his page on Facebook and 18,000 people sharing his story. 

Baby Jaxon Buell was born with part of his brain and skull missing. He beat the odds and turned one in August

Jaxon was diagnosed as having Anencephaly, a neural tube birth defect in which a child is born without parts of the brain and skull, but doctors were still unsure of how severe his condition would be.

'We did everything we could to give him a fighting chance and all he's done since being born is fight right back.' 

About 1 in 4,859 babies in the United States will be born with Anencephaly and usually die shortly after birth, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

30-year-old Brandon, said: 'After our second ultrasound at 17 weeks, when we found out he was a boy, we knew something was up when the ultrasound technician went towards his head and went very quiet.'

'Brittany got the call the next day from the doctors saying there was a concern with the MRI results. She was in tears and told me there was an issue with the baby. Of course, I lost it at work so they sent me home and the rest of the day was a blur truly.'

For the next few weeks, the anxious couple were transferred between doctors and given five possible conditions of what it could be. Spina bifida, Dandy-walker syndrome and Joubert syndrome were all possibilities.

Brandon Buell (left) and wife Brittany Buell (right) stood by their Christian faith during the difficult pregnancy. Doctors gave them the option to terminate the pregnancy at 23 weeks but the young couple, who are against abortion, believed it was not their decision to make.

Brandon, who is an assistant to the CEO of a small community bank in Florida, said: 'We went home that night thinking if you are telling us to abort, we would never know what Jaxon could have been, if he could have survived.'

'Who are we to decide? We were given a child, we are given a chance and we have to be his voice.'

'We did everything we could to give him a fighting chance and all he's done since being born is fight right back.'

Jaxon's 27-year-old mother, said: 'I was devastated. It was heart breaking because something I always wanted my whole life was happening, but then I was told there was a possibility it might be a stillborn.

'It took all the joy away from me. The happiness that normal women have when they are pregnant - I had none of that.'

The miracle baby survived the pregnancy and was born by caesarian section on August 27, 2014 weighing four pounds.

He spent his first three weeks connected to multiple tubes in a neonatal intensive-care unit in Winnie Palmer Hospital, Florida, as brain surgeons tried to understand his condition.